20 April 2010

International week

From the 15th March until the 19th of march, we had a special schedule, because it was international week. Students from all around the country came to visit UCsyd.


On Monday we got to know the international students by playing a game. Afterwards, when we knew one another a bit better, we had to make a couple of drawings of things that represent our country. Because we already did this twice, it wasn’t too hard to come up with typical Belgian things. We drew chocolate, beer, Herman Van Rompuy, our flag, French fries and seafood.
after wards we had to do the same, but for another country. This was more difficult. Our group had Poland and the only thing we came up with was ‘Vodka’.
When everyone finished, every group had to present the drawing of the other country. Then the people of that concerned country showed us their drawing and then we could compare those two. Most of the time the drawings were representative. I think this is because the weeks before we talked a lot about the countries all the erasmusstudents come from.
In the afternoon, we got a Danish lesson. Not very interesting for us, because we already knew those basic words… What I did find interesting was the explanation about the Danish educational system afterwards. We already talked about that, but it’s always interesting to hear and discuss it again.


On Tuesday we had 2 different workshops. I chose for ‘preparing traditional food from Denmark’ and ‘Creating a pocket film’. Both workshops were very good.



From 8.15 until 11.15 we talked about Danish food. The teacher showed us some pictures from a traditional coffee table. After seeing that, I can’t believe that most Danes are so skinny. Afterwards we made some sandwiches with some typical Danish food on it. The one thing that I found the most striking was the mackerel salad with mayonnaise. It was divided: 50 – 50, so 50% of mackerel and 50% mayonnaise… So not very healthy, but of course the unhealthy things are always the best…
After the lunch (made by myself) we had to make a pocket film. This film had to be about ‘the things I find striking in Denmark’. To be honest, I find a lot of things striking in Denmark. After a short discussion, we chose this striking fact: ‘Why do the traffic lights always turn orange before they turn back green?’ First we went to the crossroads and filmed the traffic lights, afterwards we made our own little ‘theater’. Stefanie was the red light, Marie was the orange light and I was the green light.
After our perfect acting, we had to put in on the computer and edit it. I have to say, the end result was fabulous. After a satisfying day, we had to prepare food from our home country. Stefanie, some international students and I made French fries (of course!). It didn’t went smoothly. We only had one fryer and fries have to be baked twice… After 2 hours in the kitchen we were done. I really enjoyed that evening. I loved the fact that we could taste food from other countries. With my belly all blown up and the button of my pants open, we left to our apartment to get a good night sleep, because Wednesday would be very exhausting as well…

And it was! Wednesday was the international day. At 8.15, all the students had an introduction to the day in the assembly hall. What I found very funny was the fact that the speaker was talking about cultures and how important it is to learn and speak English, but she only spoke Danish, while she could speak English…
Anyway, after this presentation we went to our workshop about internationalization. I chose the workshop ‘didactics’ with Iben. I loved it! It was so interesting! Every time when I had a lesson from her, I go out with my head filled with thoughts. She can really challenge you to think further… That wasn’t different this time…


After lunch, we had some time to prepare an exhibition about our home university. Stefanie, a few international students and I are all from the same university, so we worked together. I drew a poster from the college, Stefanie helped me with the colors and the international students made a more general poster about Belgium. Afterwards, there was a small exhibition. It was nice to see each other home universities. The only thing I found a bit regrettable was the fact that there were almost no Danish students… The weather was nice, so I think they all went home…


On Thursday we normally had ‘movement and physical activities’ in the morning, but the teacher was sick. Instead we worked with books. I didn’t really liked this alternative… After lunch and after a presentation about the university of Valencia, we went to Ribe. I’d already been there with my parents and my sister, but I didn’t find it annoying to go back, because I really love this village. It so small and cozy there and all the old buildings tell a story.


We didn’t went straight to Ribe though, we first made a stop at the sea. It was wonderful. The view was phenomenal. After we had the change to walk a bit around and take some pictures, we had to go back on the bus. The bus driver drove through Ribe, what actually is forbidden. I can see why… The streets are so narrow, you can easily get stuck in one… He stopped at the museum, which we went to visit. I really love this museum. There are 3 parts. Upstairs you can see a film about the old Vikings. Downstairs there is a part especially made for children and then you also have the ‘normal museum’. I went to see all three. As a teacher to be, of course I liked the part for the children the most.
It looked like a little ‘Vikingvillage’. The children can dress like knights or princesses and do all sorts of activities. After one and a half hour in the museum, we had some free time. We just walked around. Because it’s such a small town, we still had some time left before the bus would leave, so went to a cafĂ© and drank a thee.

Back in Haderslev, it was time for the ‘Eurovision song festival’. Loes, Ine, marie, Caroline, Stefanie and I started practicing for our act. We chose a song of K3 (A very famous group in Belgium) and made up some dance moves to go with our play backing. We were ready. Every country did something. Most people sang a song. I was a bit scared after I’d see some great performances. But it was too late. We had to do it. And I’m glad we did, because Belgium got 12 point, meaning: our group won! I was so happy! We got our price and it was a basket of chocolate. (Not a great price for me, because I don’t like chocolate…)


After an exciting night, my alarm went off very early (a bit too early…). When I arrived at school we got some more time to work on our pocket film, because we had to present it later that day. At 12 o’clock we saw each other pocket films and we saw the end product of the music class. They sang a song and I have to say, it sounded great! Then the final activity took place: the farewell lunch. The lunch ladies made some lunch, especially for us and it was delicious. (I like the Danish food now, more than in the beginning)


It was a very exhausting week, but I’m glad I experienced it…!

No comments:

Post a Comment