18 April 2010

Danish lessons

I was really looking forward to learn another language. I was a bit amazed about the quantity of lessons we had. It’s very hard to learn a language in only 5 lessons, 10 hours. But I was hopeful… Very excited I went to the first Danish lesson in the first week. We learned to say our names and where we come from. I think this was a very good introduction. Satisfied with those two Danish sentences I went home. Stefanie and I practiced this the whole week. We kept asking each other’s name. 
But week after week I was more and more disappointed in these lessons. The teacher was really trying, but we went to slow. After these 5 lessons, this is all we can say:

1) Our names (Jeg hedder Lynn)
2) Where we come from (Jeg kommer fra Belgium)
3) What language we speak (Jeg taler flamsk or lidt dansk)
4) We can thank someone in 7 different ways (tak, tusind tak, selv tak,…)
5) We can ask if someone wants thee or coffee (Vil du have kaffe/te?)
6) And we can count until 100

So I’m a bit disappointed. We can’t have a conversation with a Dane. We can’t speak with the children of our practice school. I still feel like an intruder in Denmark after 2 and a half months, because I always have to speak English. I think it’s a matter of respect to learn the language of the land you’re in.
Maybe it’s a good idea for next year to increase the Danish lessons. Or arrange some outdoor activities in Danish. (Danish games?)
But I do have to say that Lone Selmer really had some good ideas to let us practice the sentences and words we already know. And I know it’s hard for her to learn us a lot of Danish in only 10 hours, because it is a very difficult language…

No comments:

Post a Comment