17 April 2010

Climate and cooking


Finally, our First lesson with Danish students! (I don’t have any optional subjects)
I was looking forward to this lesson. And I have to say, it was great! The teacher was very friendly and she really tried to make us feel welcome. (But I think this is a quality all Danes have… )
The 8th of march, we had our first lesson. The Danish students were very friendly and helped us a lot. We started by brainstorming about climate friendly cooking. I think it’s very good that we started the way we did. These days, it is very important to be climate friendly. Afterwards we had to divide the tasks. Stefanie and I, together with 3 Danish students were responsible for the main course. With the climate friendly cooking rules in our head, we (Stefanie and I) decided to make a typical Belgian meal, named ‘Hutsepot’ during the cooking lesson. It was climate friendly because the ingredients were seasonal.
The 23th we met again. We had to go shopping for our ingredients. As always the Danish students helped and learned us a lot in the store: ‘Which potatoes were better, why they chose ecological vegetables, and so on.’ With a bag of Føtex in my hand I knew I was ready to make a delicious meal.
The 24th, the day the Danes would love our Belgian food or the day they hated it… Everybody started to make their own climate friendly meal. An hour went by and the kitchen was filled with delicious aroma’s. We laid the table, so that we could see if our noses didn’t tricked us. And I’m very glad to tell you that it wasn’t the case. Everything I ate that morning, was delicious. EVERYTHING!
The only thing I struggled with that morning was the fact that, although I skipped my breakfast, I was already full after the first soup. I can’t remember how I did it, but I managed to eat/taste it all. I do remember that I went home with my button of my pants open… 
In general, I can conclude that I really loved this lesson. It was great to work with Danish students and to learn a lot about climate friendly cooking, ingredients, typical Danish food,….

No comments:

Post a Comment